Monday, September 6, 2010

25 days to 30: run a 5k

Full disclosure: I cheated on today's challenge. Because I've never run a 5K in my life, let alone in my 20s.

I've always thought of running as a special kind of workout torture. Why go so hard on your joints when the elliptical's right there?

And cardio's such a snooze. I usually need an Us Weekly, my iPod, and the TV set to a trashy VH1 reality show to get me through it, and it's too hard to read the latest Kardashian exposé on the treadmill.

But some awesomely fit friends (AHEM Kristy and Gina and Julie and Sarah) talked me into doing a 5K in the fall. So, I did the Couch to 5K program. Seriously check it out if you want to start running. An added BONUS: if you download the podcasts you get to run to the tune of funky techno beats.

5K domination
So, yeah, I ran at a 11-minute mile pace. And yeah, two seven-year-olds and an old man dominated me in the home stretch. But, I finished the race and - GASP - actually had fun.

I'm excited that I did this one in my 20s, and it's likely coming with me into my 30s. Maybe I'll get so good that I'll be able to bring my Us Weekly next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment