Thursday, September 2, 2010

29 days to 30: drinking out of a CI cup all day

When I got married a couple years ago, one of the greatest gifts I got (besides the whole soul mate, lifelong partner thing) was a MATCHING SET of glasses. Whoo boy.

Before then, my collection of drinking glasses was a miscellaneous amalgamation of hand-me-downs from parents, old roommates, and bars. If I had people over, you can bet that someone would be drinking cheap white wine out of my grandmother's old crystal while another was drinking out of one of my 27 plastic Get High at the C.I. cups.

I'm sure you're curious how one can accumulate so many cups from one bar in Athens, Ohio. Well, I'll tell you what, for a dive bar this place knew its target market. Just picture the bar owner saying,

"College kids don't have fine glassware, let's give them a free plastic cup with every draft beer! Free advertising! We'll own those punks' kitchens in no time!"

I remember padding around my apartment on weekends drinking every single beverage of my day out of one of those C.I. cups. Water, orange juice, beer - you name it, I drank it out of that cup. Because, who wants to do dishes anyway? This one sitting in the sink smells fine.

So for my little experiment I thought I'd trade my matching glasses and fancy Nalgene at work for my trusty old C.I. throwback.


I'll tell you what: for lasting close to eight years after college this plastic cup is well-constructed and held up well. It held plenty of water, lots of ice - overall a great drinking glass option. I might put it into my regular rotation. BONUS: I only got a couple strange looks at work for carrying around a plastic cup with a giant Labbatt Blue logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment