Wednesday, September 29, 2010

5 days to 30: eat out on your parents' dime

The best days in college were when your parents, or your roommates' parents, or some friends' relatives came to visit. Because that meant that you got to go out to DINNER! To the nice place in town, Damon's. If you were really lucky, there was also a trip to Kroger and Wal-Mart thrown in there for groceries and extra rubbermaid containers.

Then you'd kiss the old people goodbye and hit the town for the night. Because back then, going to dinner was what you did BEFORE you showered, got dressed, pregamed, then went out. Now, going to dinner at 7 p.m. IS going out.

On Sunday we went out with my big crazy family to celebrate a multitude of life events: my upcoming 30th, my little sister's recent 21st, and my other sister's wedding anniversary. Of course, we did not pass go, we did not collect $200, we went straight to my family's favorite restaurant, Maggiano's.
Per usual, I gorged myself on my faves - chopped salad and fried zucchini - while my mom gave a speech between each course to commemorate each event. The best was when we all went around the table to share our favorite moment from my sister's wedding the year before. Yep, I meant it when I said we were crazy.

Anywho, even though the hubby and I can afford a night out, it's still nice when the parents pick up the tab. Maybe next time I won't make my mom take me to Target for shampoo afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment